• Welcome to Lucky Linkshell - Phoenix .

ShoutBox!

Recent

Donate

Donate a little to help pay for server costs

How do YOU pronounce your name?

Started by Zerila, February 08, 2007, 11:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zerila

Well, I've got a few minutes left before I leave work to catch the bus, so here's a post to waste some time.
After seeing people call me "gorrila" in linkshell chat, and hearing my name brutally massacred in Vent (Selan: Q_Q), it occurred to me: "ZOMGAH! People are mis-pronouncing my name!!!?!"

Now, this isn't something that bugs me at all (I'm too laid back for it to bother me) but I thought I'd just mention how I pronounce my name since I'm doing a time-wasting post anyway, and kill 2 colibri with one charm... or something like that...  :-\

Anyway, the way I pronounce "Zerila" is with the first two syllables really fast, so that it almost sounds like "ZREE-lah". ZEH-ree is how I pronounce my nickname, Zeri.

If you get this wrong in Vent, it's not like I'm going to get annoyed or anything :)

Now that I've cleared that up... how do you pronounce your character name? Like, Areya, I know your name isn't "area", and I've been pronouncing it "ah-REY-ah", but is that how you want it?
Join the Pixie Preservation Society today!
The only membership requirement is that you can't have killed any pixies :)

Kyuuketsuki

Technically, I'm ketskee! Or kyooketskee! But, ketsookee is just fine too.

Ennaor

my name is pronounced lkasjd;lasjdalsjf;lsdjfsf-slkdfjlsf-SSLFJL;SAKJF-dsjflsdkjf;saieruewi-SDFsdfsde
Wheaton's Law:  Don't be a dick!

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: Ennaor on February 09, 2007, 06:08:26 AM
my name is pronounced lkasjd;lasjdalsjf;lsdjfsf-slkdfjlsf-SSLFJL;SAKJF-dsjflsdkjf;saieruewi-SDFsdfsde

Noted.

Perhaps you could help me out with that next time you're on vent! Not sure about part of it! :D

Selan

I pronounce ketsuki's name like Ket-SU-Ki !!!!! The super american way! I always thought zerila's name was like Ze-ri-la. As for Areya's name i always thought of it as A-ree-ya but he doesn't say it like that lol. For my name i thought of it as Se-lan (almost like Suh-lan) but I like how ryu pronounces it with See-lan.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

Bakum

This post is funny because I don't think anybody deciphers anybody's game name correctly. I get "Bake-em" all the time. but its actually "Baa-kum" Kinda like a sheep at the beginning. "Baaaaa" It doesn't bother me in the least, I just find it funny. ppl on Socom say it wrong all the time too.

Zerila

So many names I've been saying wrong... the only one I got right is Enna!

Actually, I thought Ketsuki was "ket-soo-ki". Selan I've been saying as "sey-lahn"  and Bakum I've been saying as "Back-um", which is at least close :)

Isn't learning fun?  ;D

Kyuuketsuki

I've been on the dot about most peopleseses names. :) Or at least, really close.

Ket soo kee is fine really... since it's not really a word... just a shortened form of Kyuuketsuki. But, you'd definitely wanna say kyoo kets kee if you didn't wanna sound like some baka gaijin! :) So, it just makes sense to cut the u out in the shortened form.

To summarise, I'm going too in depth about this.

Zerila

Je suis un "baka gaijin!"

Wait... we were doing French in a different thread.... sorry ; ;

Ariamo

Uh yeah. Mine's pronounced as if you were saying all the vowels seperately or something like that.  "Ah-ree-yah-moh".

Because we live in a pink and fluffy world, that's why.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: Zerila on February 10, 2007, 01:24:15 AM
Je suis un "baka gaijin!"

Wait... we were doing French in a different thread.... sorry ; ;

Tu es un Am

Zerila

I was pretty close on Aria's name too. I was saying it "A-ree-ah-moh"
So, I didn't butcher it too badly, I guess ^^;

Ketsuki, je me suis juste rappel

Ryudei

SHAY-LAH

Greenwood can gtfo

Also it's always funny to hear americans try and get "Ryu" right, it's more of an "L" than an "R", almost LIEU-DAY but with a small trill?  But not really.  Whatever RAI-YOO is fine too haha.

Kets you can't get rid of the "U" entirely, it's still there.  All japanese words are broken down into one syllable consonant vowel combinations!  It's very true that in your name it's very close to silent but it's still there!  I know you know but the way you have it typed out there is a little misleading!

Bakum

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: Ryudei on February 14, 2007, 10:01:36 AM
SHAY-LAH

Greenwood can gtfo

Also it's always funny to hear americans try and get "Ryu" right, it's more of an "L" than an "R", almost LIEU-DAY but with a small trill?  But not really.  Whatever RAI-YOO is fine too haha.

Kets you can't get rid of the "U" entirely, it's still there.  All japanese words are broken down into one syllable consonant vowel combinations!  It's very true that in your name it's very close to silent but it's still there!  I know you know but the way you have it typed out there is a little misleading!

Q_Q I know it's still there. Just very faint. XD If the u was entirely gone... it'd sound more russian. @_@ Da comrade?

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: Zerila on February 12, 2007, 08:54:03 PM
I was pretty close on Aria's name too. I was saying it "A-ree-ah-moh"
So, I didn't butcher it too badly, I guess ^^;

Ketsuki, je me suis juste rappel

Vite

lol this is interesting, people say Vite but it's pronounced as Veete' as in "Cafe"

nice to meet u :p

Luel

Hka ppl. thats said huh-ka ^^. ppl like to call me loo-ell but it suposed to be looool  the uk or chek-repulick way ^^  heh

Chucho

People say my name correctly most of the time when I've had friends over or back before I left the game when I was on a vent. Chew-cho  It's originated from spanish word for wild dog or rabid dog.

Ryuoh