• Welcome to Lucky Linkshell - Phoenix .

ShoutBox!

Recent

Donate

Donate a little to help pay for server costs

Ramblings: Accessory System

Started by Areya, December 15, 2008, 03:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Areya

The result of insomniac boredom and thinking, realize something like this will never make it into the game, since it could definitely be broken, but hey it's a fun idea.

As you can tell, I was inspired by the Relics of FFVI, but also got ideas from FFX-2.

Accessory System
----------------

- What are Accessories?

Accessories are special artifacts that can be used to augment a character.

- How do I find them?

Due to the very special nature of these items, they are rewards from NMs, BCNM fights, or crafted from difficult-to-acquire magical materials.

- Do they take up inventory?

No.  Much like puppetmaster attachments, you trade the accessory to an accessorizer NPC, which unlocks the ability to assign that accesory.

- How many accessories can you use at once?

Two at once.

- How do I equip them?

Unfortunately you can't swap accessories in the field, due to some of the natures of the special abilities granted.  Instead, you use the Change Jobs menu, which will be expanded to be Main Job, Support Job, and Accessories.

- Do they have level requirements?

They have varying level requirements.  Moreover, to unlock certain abilities on them, you may require to have leveled a certain job to a required level.

Types of Accessories

1) Job Trait Accessories - Artifacts

These tend to add different Job Traits to your current job.  They only add the first level of a particular trait, and have no effect if your Main/Sub combination already has the trait.

Examples:

Star Pendant - lv 10
Adds "Resist Poison"
Adds "Resist Blind"

Purity Amulet - lv 30
Adds "Resist Charm"
Adds "Resist Curse"

Sniper Sight - lv 20
Adds "Rapid Shot"
Adds "Accuracy Bonus"

Paladin's Seal - lv 15
Adds "Defense Bonus"
Adds "Undead Killer"

Genji Glove - lv 50
Adds "Dual Wield"

Brawler Soul - lv 10
Adds "Martial Arts"

2) Equip Allow Accessories - Cards and Charms

These nifty treats allow you to equip certain gears that your job would not normally be able to use.  In addition, if you have no natural skill in the weapon, it endows you with an F rating (189 cap at 75).  It does not allow exclusive WS, however.

On equip lists, any equipment that is equippable because of these accessories will be shown in Green.

Weapons relating to myth WS, AF, and some very powerful r/e weapons are exempts.

Examples:

Lance Card - lv 1
Equip Spear

Knuckle Card - lv 1
Equip Cesti
Equip Knuckles

Katana Card - lv 1
Equip Katana

Light Shield Card - lv 1
Equip Bucklers
Equip Round Shields

Scimitar Card - lv 10
Equip Scimitars

Mystic Armor Charm - lv 10
Equip Mage Armor

Leather Armor Charm - lv 10
Equip Leather Armor

3) Job Ability Accessories - Stones

These allow the use of certain job abilities without the necessary main or subjob.  However, you must have reached a certain level in the job associated with the ability, or you still won't be able to access the JA.

Berserker Stone - lv 40, lv 15 WAR
"Berserk"

Focusing Stone - lv 45, lv 25 MNK
"Focus"

Sharpshooter's Stone - lv 25, lv 5 RNG
"Sharpshot"

Covetous Stone - lv 25, lv 5 THF
"Steal"

Guardian's Stone - lv 70, lv 35 PLD
"Cover"

Assaulter's STone - lv 75, lv 35 WAR
"Warcry"

Reveler's Stone - lv 30, lv 5 DNC
"Drain Samba"

4) Magic Enabling Accessories - Baubles

Similar to the job ability ones, these allow the casting of certain spells without the necessary main or subjob.  You must've learned the spell first and satisfy the job requirements.  Also note that you get F ratings if you do not possess the magic skill category naturally.  They also don't add MP.

Also, many enable multiple spells, each with different level requirements.

Examples:

Pyromaniac Bauble -
Fire - lv 25 , lv 25 BLM/RDM/SCH
Fire II - lv 50 , lv 50 BLM/RDM/SCH
Fire III - lv 75 , lv 75 BLM/RDM/SCH

Healing Bauble -
Cure - lv 1, lv 5 WHM/RDM/SCH
Cure II - lv 20, lv 20 WHM/RDM/SCH
Cure III - lv 50, lv 30 WHM/RDM/SCH

Hexer's Bauble -
Blind - lv 10, lv 10 RDM/BLM
Paralyze - lv 15, lv 15 WHM/RDM
Slow - lv 20, lv 20 WHM/RDM

Koga Bauble -
Katon: Ichi - lv 20, lv 15 NIN
Hyoton: Ichi - lv 20, lv 15 NIN
Huton: Ichi - lv 20, lv 15 NIN
Doton: Ichi - lv 20, lv 15 NIN
Raiton: Ichi - lv 20, lv 15 NIN
Suiton: Ichi - lv 20, lv 15 NIN

Vampire Bauble -
Drain - lv 30, lv 25 DRK/BLM/SCH
Aspir - lv 55, lv 40 DRK/BLM/SCH

-------------------------

Well, it's an interesting concept, at least!

Zerila

That's a cool idea! I think for the ability ones, though, some balancing might be needed... like, doubling the cooldown timers or some such thing. A provoke bauble would make for an interesting PLD/NIN, though :)

Or, maybe skip the JA additions entirely, just for balance issues (and because a lot of Thieves, for example, would get upset if you had Covetous Stones) . Instead, you could have accessories that enhance a JA that someone already has, like

"Enmity sphere"
Level 25, enhances Provoke (2x hate spike)

"Bounding sphere"
Level 30, enhances "Jump" (adds damage, increases enmity reduction"

"Curing Bauble"
Level 25, WHM only (enhances potency of cure spells by 15% without increasing enmity)

That kind of thing.

Anyway, I like it. It's something SE could add that would enhance our characters just a bit, and maybe add a little flexibility while we're at it.  ;D
Join the Pixie Preservation Society today!
The only membership requirement is that you can't have killed any pixies :)

Areya

Quote from: Zerila on December 15, 2008, 05:26:48 PM
.... (and because a lot of Thieves, for example, would get upset if you had Covetous Stones) .

Considering how crappy Steal is overall, I don't think it's that big a deal.

The general idea on the JA ones was to give access to certain JA that you really don't want to dedicate an entire support job for, and I wasn't about to make a Provoke one anyways, heh.

A Chakra one would be nice too.

I think the F rating in spell skills you don't have normally makes the spell enablers more a novelty than a real use unless you have the skill already (Drain/Aspir on a RDM, for instance).

The ones that would be "Broken" in my opinion would be the ones that let you equip stuff, especially when it comes to stuff like Joyeuse or Ridill, or really importantly, the armor changing ones, since you could, for example, give any job a Haubergeon...