• Welcome to Lucky Linkshell - Phoenix .

ShoutBox!

Recent

Donate

Donate a little to help pay for server costs

Ramblings: Enchanter Job

Started by Areya, January 10, 2009, 08:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Areya

The product of more random boredom!  I spent a decent amount of time on this write-up, see what ya think.

Enchanter
---------

Description:  A blade-wielding class that can imbue powerful spell enchantments on weaponry.  Also possesses antimage skills including the powerful Runic moves.

Background:  Enchanter was previously known as either Mystic Knight or Sorcerer in FFV.  It was part of the second set of jobs acquired.

Runic is the famous ability of General Celes of FFVI, where she would negate the next spell cast and gain mp.

The Saber type spells also show up in the Secret of Mana series.

Overview:  One of the largest problems in FFXI is magic-slinging opponents.  In this regard, both PLD and NIN can struggle as tanks.

PLD: While they have high HP and some tools like Fealty and Rampart,
Paladins without /NIN are still easy fodder for single target enfeebles
or Ancient magic.  Shield Bash can interrupt casting but has a 5 min timer.  Paladin cannot reliably enfeeble an opponent at all, and few good magic damage options other than Atonement and Spirits Within.

NIN: Nearly all dangerous magic from opponents comes in area form, making shadows worthless.  Ninjas can do ninjitsu for many ailments, and stun katanas to interrupt, but lack of self-healing (minus subjob) is a real problem.

So what jobs do make good antimages?

RDM: Multiple Magic Def Bonus traits, Stoneskin/Phalanx/Shell, Bar- spells, En- spells to exploit weaknesses, powerful enfeebles, and mp recovery.  Red Mages are well suited for mage warfare.  Without subjob they can't remedy statuses, however, and cannot stun without sj.

WHM: Anyone that pays attention to spell damages will see that WHM's Magic Defense Bonus traits are incredibly awesome...  High powered Cures, status removal, Bar- spells, a decent shield rating..  The real problem is lack of magic damage.  Also cannot stun without sj tho.

There are others, but I think you see the point.  Mage types are better suited for taking on other mages.

With this in mind, Enchanter is a strange hybrid of melee and mage, geared more for taking out mages.

STAT RATINGS
HP: B
MP: C

STR: D
DEX: C
AGI: C
VIT: B
INT: B
MND: B
CHR: B

COMBAT SKILLS
sword: A-
Great Sword: B
Club: C+
Dagger: C+
Archery: E
Shield: C
Parry: C-
Evasion: C+

MAGIC SKILLS
Saber: A+
Healing: D
Enhancing: D

EQUIPMENT TYPES
Swords: Prefered Style Short Swords, Scimitars, Broadswords, Rapiers
Great Swords: Claymore types
Clubs: Wands, Maces, and Cudgels
Dagger: Knives, Daggers, and Krises
Bows: Shortbows
Shields: Kite Shields, Round Shields, Bucklers
Armor: Leather, Cloth, Mystic, Chain, Light Plate

JOB TRAITS
Lv 10: Magic Def. Bonus I
LV 10: Resist Paralyze
LV 15: Barrier (*)
Lv 20: Resist Silence
LV 30: Magic Def. Bonus II
LV 30: Resist Sleep
LV 40: Resist Petrify
LV 50: Magic Def. Bonus III
LV 50: Resist Curse
LV 60: Resist Charm
LV 70: Magic Def. Bonus IV
LV 70: Resist Doom

* Barrier = Works as Latent Effect: Magic Damage -50%, when at <33% hp.

To better combat magetypes I gave them several Resist traits, including those normally not obtainable from Job Traits.

SABER MAGIC
Saber Magic is similar to En- effects, most notably from RDM, but also from various enchanted items in the game.  Whether they inflict damage or a status ailment, the effectiveness of these spells is based on the current Saber Magic skill level.  Thus, while a saber might do 5 added damage at low level, at high level it could do 30-40 per hit!

Elemental Sabers:
MP Cost: 10 for first set, 20 for second set
Duration: 3 minutes
Damage Formula:
(Saber)/8 + INT / 5 - Saber I
(Saber)/12 + INT / 10 - Saber II

LV 5: Stone Saber
Grants the effect of Enstone.

LV 10: Aqua Saber
Grants the effect of Enwater.

LV 14: Wind Saber
Grants the effect of Enaero.

LV 19: Flame Saber
Grants the effect of Enfire.

LV 23: Ice Saber
Grants the effect of Enblizzard.

LV 27: Thunder Saber
Grants the effect of Enthunder.

LV 32: Dark Saber
Grants the effect of Endark.

LV 37: Saint Saber
Grants the effect of Enlight.

LV 60: Stone Saber II
Grants target party member the effect of Enstone.

LV 62: Aqua Saber II
Grants target party member the effect of Enwater.

LV 64: Wind Saber II
Grants target party member the effect of Enaero.

LV 66: Flame Saber II
Grants target party member the effect of Enfire.

LV 68: Ice Saber II
Grants target party member the effect of Enblizzard.

LV 70: Thunder Saber II
Grants target party member the effect of Enthunder.

LV 72: Dark Saber II
Grants target party member the effect of Endark.

LV 74: Saint Saber II
Grants target party member the effect of Enlight.
------
Enfeeble Sabers:
These put various status ailments on your normal attack.  These have a high % chance of landing but are not guaranteed.  The durations are low and the recasts are fair.  Obviously, one must trade off between added damage sabers, or status additions.

LV 8: Dia Saber
Imbues Additional Effect: Dia
MP: 10
Duration: 30 sec
Recast: 45 sec

LV 16: Bio Saber
Imbues Additional Effect: Bio
MP: 12

LV 24: Para Saber
Imbues Additional Effect: Paralyze
MP: 19
Recast: 60 sec

LV 29: Blind Saber
Imbues Additional Effect: Blind
MP: 17

LV 35: Mute Saber
Imbues Additional Effect: Silence
MP: 24

LV 40: Venom Saber
Imbues Additional Effect: Poison (10 hp/tick)
MP: 26

LV 50: Stun Saber
Imbues Additional Effect: Stun
MP: 33
Recast: 90 sec

LV 60: Break Saber
Imbues Additional Effect: Petrify
MP: 42
Recast: 90 sec

LV 70: Stop Saber
Imbues Additional Effect: Terror
MP: 50
Recast: 120 sec

As you can see, some of the high level sabers are very sick.

Misc Sabers:

LV 22: Drain Saber
Drains HP with each strike.
MP: 25

LV 38: Aspir Saber
Drains MP with each strike.
MP: 20

LV 55: Blessed Saber
Imbues Additional Effect: Restore HP
(Doesn't actually drain, so works on undead, see Dominion Mace)
MP: 40

OTHER MAGIC

LV 12: Cure
LV 30: Cure II
LV 50: Cure III
LV 75: Cure IV

LV 10: Shell
LV 20: Protect
LV 30: Shell II
LV 40: Protect II
LV 50: Shell III
LV 60: Protect III
LV 70: Shell IV

RUNICS

The other nifty ability Enchanters possess are Runics.  These require either a sword to be equipped, or a Runic Symbol to be in the ammo slot.  Similar to Stratagems, max Runic Charges and restoration speed of the charges varies with level.

LV 20: One Runic Charge, restores every 3 min
LV 40: Two Runic Charges, restores every 1:30
LV 60: Three Runic Charges, restores every 1:00

Once used, these abilities have a duration of 1 minute, or until the conditions are met.  Also, the target must be within 20' of you for the Runic to respond.

Lv 20: Runic Charge
The next time target casts a spell, gain MP equal to that spell's casting cost.
For ENH, 100% of cost, for /ENH, 50%.

Lv 35: Runic Cancel
Interrupt target's casting if it is casting a spell that targets you.

LV 50: Runic Absorb
The next time target casts a spell, interrupt target's casting and gain MP equal to that spell's casting cost.

LV 65: Runic Reflect
The next time target casts a spell on you, instacast the same spell on target.  (think Colibri reflect!)

OTHER JOB ABILITIES

LV 30: Mana Shield
Drastically reduce magic damage dealt to you.
Duration: 45 sec
Recast: 5 min

Basically Sentinel for magic damage.

LV 60: Mana Denial
Bestows the effect of Magic Shield.
Recast: 5 min

Works like a Fool's Drink.

TWO HOUR
LV 1 - Mana Flare
All magic damage is converted to mp damage.  Also grants enfeeble immunity.

Think Invincible for magic damage.  However, it basically destroys your mp.  Great counter to Manafont or Chainspell, though!

ARTIFACT EQUIPMENT

Enhancer - lv 40 Short Sword
DMG 21 Delay 240 MP+15 INT+1 MND+1

Infuser's Circlet - lv 60
DEF: 17 MP+20 MND+5 Increases Saber duration
(Adds 15 sec)

Infuser's Mail - lv 58
Def: 45 HP+24 VIT+4
Enhances "Barrier" effect.
(Increases threshold to <50% hp)

Infuser's Gauntlets - lv 54
DEF: 14 MP+10 DEX+2 Saber Skill + 5

Infuser's Leggings - lv 56
DEF: 25 HP+15 AGI+3
Increases MP Absorption of Runic
(+20% gained from Runic Charge and Runic Absorb)

Infuser's Boots - lv 52
DEF: 14 HP+12 MP+12 Shield Skill + 10

JOB ANALYSIS:

PROs:
With so many tools at its disposal, fighting mages is much easier for Enhancers.  With decent HP growth, it can last a while too. Access to all 8 elemental damage types means you can exploit any weakness.  Ability to cure itself.  Access to exotic status ailments like Terror.

CONs:
Low STR, and not many hate tools, so actual tanking is a problem.  HNMs build immunity or are largely immune to statuses.

Evanesce

I enjoyed reading that, Rey ^^ Reminds me of the Gambler writeups I used to post (indirectly, at least). One of the primary things that comes to mind is the variety in viable subjobs. You could go with a mage subjob to increase MP and gain other casting benefits, or you could go with a melee subjob to increase accuracy and gain melee benefits. /THF and /NIN seem as if they would be most fitting, in the end (though I've been away for such a long time, I could be off). One little change I would make; the two hour is underpowered. It should have a Runic effect and absorb *all* magic damage in the radius, and absorb MP equal to the casting cost of the spell. That way, you can protect your team from any kind of magic even if you're not tanking, since, while ENH seems to be geared toward tanking magic casters, it also seems suited to playing a role as a damage dealer/enfeebler with a PLD or NIN tanking.
Welcome to the Glompificate Nation of Luck-Related, Cookiefied Rainbowisms! ~LuckyLS~*Phoenix*~Evanesce~

Evanesce

Also, I like your avatar, Rey~ ^^
Welcome to the Glompificate Nation of Luck-Related, Cookiefied Rainbowisms! ~LuckyLS~*Phoenix*~Evanesce~

Areya

Quote from: Evanesce on January 12, 2009, 04:40:56 AM
One of the primary things that comes to mind is the variety in viable subjobs. You could go with a mage subjob to increase MP and gain other casting benefits, or you could go with a melee subjob to increase accuracy and gain melee benefits. /THF and /NIN seem as if they would be most fitting, in the end (though I've been away for such a long time, I could be off).

/RDM really comes to mind.  Bar- and Phalanx compliment their arsenal well.  And I did give them some Enhancing skill naturally (same as PLD)  For actual tanking, /WAR for hate is probably necessary.

Quote from: Evanesce on January 12, 2009, 04:40:56 AM
One little change I would make; the two hour is underpowered. It should have a Runic effect and absorb *all* magic damage in the radius, and absorb MP equal to the casting cost of the spell. That way, you can protect your team from any kind of magic even if you're not tanking...

That would be seriously broken on most HNMs, many of which primarily use tp moves that inflict magic damage.  I mostly intended it to be the counterpart of PLD Invincible, but added on the "take MP damage" as sort of a semi-tribute to the infamous ability of FFT Time Mages.  I actually thought about putting it as "absorb magic damage as MP"....

Areya

I thought about doing similar writeups for Time Mage, Chemist, and Geomancer, actually.

Zerila

I seem to remember Eva having a great writeup for some jobs as well. Was it Chemist and Geomancer?
Join the Pixie Preservation Society today!
The only membership requirement is that you can't have killed any pixies :)

Evanesce

It was Gambler ^^ I still have it, though it's likely outdated now.