• Welcome to Lucky Linkshell - Phoenix .

ShoutBox!

Recent

Donate

Donate a little to help pay for server costs

More Dialup Woes

Started by Areya, June 05, 2010, 10:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Areya

As if it's bad enough that I'm stuck with dialup out here...

Today in Alabama a change went into effect that requires area codes to be dialed before every number.  Well, my PS2 didn't get the memo apparently, because now it's stuck and I can't change the way it dials in...  So until I fix it or install the game on my PC, I can't play...

Any advice?

(And please don't say "get high speed" because that's not an option.)

Zerila

Hmm... doesn't the modem come with a setup disk? Can't you run it again?
Does it store the information on a memory card? Maybe (kind of as a last resort) you could delete it and force it to start over?

I never really used the dial up on the PS2, I can't really remember how it works, sorry :/
Join the Pixie Preservation Society today!
The only membership requirement is that you can't have killed any pixies :)

Areya

Yes there's a Network Startup Disk and yes you can store the network settings on a memory card.  The problem is that POL ignores both.  I can't even reinstall anything because it keeps trying to connect to the internet for verification (which fails because it doesn't dial the area code).

POL has a generic dialup setup but I don't know AOL's configurations, and I can't seem to find the info online.

Most likely a trip to the store to pick up a PC copy of the game is on the agenda for tomorrow...

Majestica

"I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him." -Abraham Lincoln

Zerila

Oh, it's the POL settings! I'm sorry, I misunderstood...
I thought about it a little, maybe you can get a hub and do some sort of network sharing with your PC, while the PC is dialed up? I'm not sure that would even work, though... and buying the PC version of the game would be cheaper :(

Gah... you're going to have to re-do all your macros and stuff, and you'll have lost all of your map markers and even stuff like the sort order on the AH and your chat filters and chat colors :(  Sorry, Areya :(

Areya

I actually have a router from when I had cable internet at the apartment, but not sure how to configure the entire thing, plus I don't have enough cables.

Bought the PC version anyways.  And at the rate the game is updating, it's likely it won't be ready in time for Salvage on Tuesday.  (Gawd, I really really hate dialup.  Did I mention that?)

Areya

Quote from: Zerila on June 06, 2010, 05:18:24 PM
Gah... you're going to have to re-do all your macros and stuff, and you'll have lost all of your map markers and even stuff like the sort order on the AH and your chat filters and chat colors :(  Sorry, Areya :(

I saved my macros to the POL server a couple of months ago so that shouldn't be a problem.  Sort order, chat filters, and map markers are pretty minor things.  Right now I'm more concerned about being able to play.

Zerila

Make sure to play around with your video settings a bit. The default settings on the PC look horrific :/

negotiator

sorry to hear rey.  I don't know anything about about the ps2 dialup.  at  least now you can connect with the pc. 

Tip.  after you're done updating, copy your whole ffxi folder an external or just somewhere on your
HDD (if you have the room) and keep it locked away until the day comes you have to reinstall.

if that ever happens, you reinstall with the basic discs, (easier to do it this way, because of registry stuff pol wants in order to start), then overwrite the ffxi folder with the one you backed up.  maybe you're user settings too.  anyway, just ask if that day ever comes.

lol and ya, what zeri said.  vid settings are in the ffxi config folder under the start menu/pol.
unless you use windower.  ;D

negotiator/bigo/kaiten/clare quicksword     http://luckysuccors.enjin.com/home

Areya

Minor update:  10178/16522 files still remain to be downloaded, after 26 hours...  At this rate it won't be finished until Wednesday.  So yeah, count me out for Salvage tomorrow night.

Side note:  Few years ago I was gonna try WoW on a trial basis, but it was going to take like 10 days of constant downloading to download the game, and by then the free trial would be over, so I never went through with it.

Ariamo

Should have played Ragnarok with me D:

Because we live in a pink and fluffy world, that's why.

Areya

Well, update finally finished around 4am, so I'm back in action!  Need to update some macros and tweak some settings but..  Minor details.