• Welcome to Lucky Linkshell - Phoenix .

ShoutBox!

Recent

Donate

Donate a little to help pay for server costs

Level Cap?

Started by Areya, September 22, 2011, 08:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should FFXI's maximum level be?

0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (20%)
0 (0%)
3 (60%)
0 (0%)
Over 100
0 (0%)
Other
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Areya

As I'm sure you're all very aware (maybe?) the level cap just went up to 95, and will hit 99 soon.

But what level cap do YOU think we should have?

Some notes on the numbers:

50 - The cap before you start doing any Limit Break quests.  Also the cap of Final Fantasy 1.  (which the basic jobs are from)

60 - The original FFXI level cap.  Finish your final Artifact piece.

75 - Was the cap for ages!

99 - The eventual level cap, and standard for many RPGs including most FFs.

100 - SE says they'd have this but for the 2 digit level display..  Cap of FF8.

Ryudei

I really don't think that the number really matters, so long as you are able to continue developing your character and SE continues to publish new content for the players to challenge.  Be it gaining a level, obtaining a new piece of gear, learning a new weaponskill/spell, securing a new atma, it's all about growing your character.  And of course you need content to test your new found advancements against.  In a game like FFXI where PvP is -terrible- it's really important that the PvE content is there for that purpose.

During the level 75 era I think SE really milked the grind, events like Dynamis and Salvage in particular were brutal for the time investment vs character advancement ratio.  The Abyssea era seems to be a complete 180; AF is pretty easy to complete and even Empyreans are within reasonable reach (subjective I suppose) and people are leveling as many jobs as they can since it's so easy to gain experience.  It's a much more dynamic environment which I think is a positive change.

I do miss new storyline though.  Not that I've finished WotG... We totally need to finish WotG!

LoneKenT

Since we've been at 75 for so long and most contents were made for 75, I'd say cap at 75 was the right stuff. There's so much stuffs to do, this could be bad or good depend on how u look at it.
Above 75 we get to do crazy stuffs we never get to do at 75, but it also broke the balances on some jobs and some content became obsolete. Not that there's lack of things to do, but it's abyssea or don't bother.
Example: convert, back at 75 all mages had been dreaming what it would be like if cap is 80 and we can /rdm and convert back all those MP. We got that now, and RDM loose their signature move and now there's no point to bring rdm main...much.
Can't say about 99 yet cause we're not there yet, and they've been adjusting old content. Perhaps at 99 there be more balance on jobs and more variety of events (for better or worse depend on how u look at it)
What bothers me with the lvl increase is that they keep adding higher lvl mobs to old area. I understand that they have no choice cause PS2 limitation and stuff, but it just feels wrong when it seem mobs stronger than you keep showing up in an area that you've conquered to death.
And wth lvl 105 NQ mob, higher lvl than nidhogg!! Nidhogg supose to be the king in the tree!!

Quote from: Ryudei on September 23, 2011, 08:56:50 PM
We totally need to finish WotG!
Me and Zumi, trio/quartet all the missions as soon as they're out. Think we finish the last one as lv 85.
Stop getting lazy yo!!!

Ryudei

Well, I'd be fine with keeping the cap at 75 as long as there was some other venue for character growth.  Frankly though, all the content was getting pretty stagnant when I quit (hence the quitting).

As far as RDM goes, honestly its role has always been somewhat fragile.  A job that's average at everything in a game where everyone is supposed to specialize is going to have a rough time.  The whole "infinite MP" thing was kind of a last resort thing IMO.  Besides, it's not the level cap that made RDM obsolete, it's the Atmas.

I'm not sure why they mixed up the mob levels of old content areas and I agree it's kind of annoying.  I guess they want to make sure that if people don't have the Abyssea add ons that there's still a method to gain exp?  Lol?  Regardless I rarely even go to those areas anymore anyway so it doesn't really bother me.

And yes, I'm lazy, nothing new there!

Can you PLAY yet btw?  I'll buy Crysta for you if you pay me back?  Ugh.

LoneKenT

Quote from: Ryudei on September 26, 2011, 09:12:03 PM
Besides, it's not the level cap that made RDM obsolete, it's the Atmas.
... Touche!!

And yes, I'm lazy, nothing new there!
Bring your ninja and i think we can duo most if not all.

Can you PLAY yet btw?  I'll buy Crysta for you if you pay me back?  Ugh.
I'm back babeh, just finished d/l patch!!!
Time to rock some stufffffffffffff!!!

Ryudei

Oh shite!  Oh shite oh shite oh shite!!!  IT's SHOUTAIMU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yaaaay rushing home dahling!!!!  (In like 3 hours...)

LoneKenT

oh man, best troll moment.... if I had lied!!!

Carmi

All jobs have their place outside of Abyssea, but in it, some jobs die and others are more fun! I say level everything just in case. EVERYTHING