• Welcome to Lucky Linkshell - Phoenix .

ShoutBox!

Recent

Donate

Donate a little to help pay for server costs

Heritage Trivia

Started by Areya, December 03, 2012, 09:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Areya

In an attempt to stir up interest in the site again, a little trivia thread!

Final Fantasy XI owes a lot of its elements to the games that came before it.  So, how much do you know about the series?  We'll see...

Oh, and while I'll try to avoid them, consider this your only warning:

Spoilers May Follow

Also, I use the standard Japanese numbering system.  So if I say Final Fantasy II, I don't mean the US version.

Part 1:  Jobs!

So many jobs..  but when did the different classes first emerge?

It's fairly well known that the six starting jobs of FFXI are the exact same as the six starting classes of FF1.  FF3 and FF5 relied heavily on job systems as well.

So which game did the following jobs FIRST appear in?

Bard
Ranger
Beastmaster
Samurai
Ninja
Dragoon
Summoner
Blue Mage
Corsair
Dancer
Scholar
Geomancer

Zerila

Um...

*stares at list*

I honestly couldn't answer that without cheating and using Google or something  :-[
Join the Pixie Preservation Society today!
The only membership requirement is that you can't have killed any pixies :)

Areya

Part 1 Answers:

Bard:  Final Fantasy III.  One of the jobs received from the Water Crystal.  Also one of THE weakest jobs in that particular game...

Ranger:  Final Fantasy III.  This one's from the Fire Crystal.  Interestingly, this first incarnation got low level white magic.

Beastmaster:  Final Fantasy V, from the Fire Crystal.  Though they were called Trainers.  Control worked like Charm, and they could Catch monsters and release them to do effects.  Still complete with sheep costume!

Samurai:  Final Fantasy V, from the Earth Crystal.

Ninja:  Final Fantasy.  Thief promoted into this class.

Dragoon:  Final Fantasy III, from the Water Crystal.  The game makes a big deal about Dragoons being the key to beating a certain boss by jumping on them.

Summoner:  Final Fantasy III.  There were two tiers of this job, the lower, Conjurer, was a lot weaker, but gotten from the Water Crystal.  Summoner comes from the Earth Crystal, much later.

Blue Mage:  Final Fantasy V.  Gotten really early from the Wind Crystal.

Corsair:  Final Fantasy XI.  Trick question!  That said, Setzer from Final Fantasy VI has some influences on this job, using dice and some other random effects.

Dancer:  Final Fantasy V.  A shard from the Water Crystal bestows this one.  One of their best traits was the Equip Ribbon ability!  <.< >.>

Scholar:  Final Fantasy III, Fire Crystal.  Worlds different from FFXI's version though.  They had a Scan ability to check weaknesses and attacked with elemental books.

Geomancer:  Final Fantasy III, Water Crystal job.  Terrain let them do black magic-related damage, but sometimes it'd backfire and cause damage to the user.

Areya

Part 2!  Summons!

There are many avatars that show up in FFXI, many are summonable and others are story related.  So which games did they first appear in?  (Bonus:  If it's different, what game were they first summonable?)

Carbuncle
Shiva
Ifrit
Ramuh
Titan
Leviathan
Garuda
Diabolos
Alexander
Odin
Bahamut
Phoenix
Cait Sith
Atomos

Areya

Part 2 Answers:

Carbuncle - Final Fantasy V.  Had to fight him before you could get him as a summon!

Shiva - Final Fantasy III, buyable summon.

Ifrit - Final Fantasy III, buyable summon.

Ramuh - Final Fantasy III, buyable summon.

Titan - Final Fantasy III, buyable summon.

Leviathan - Final Fantasy III.  Fight him in Lake Dol and you could gain him as a summon.

Garuda - Final Fantasy III.  Boss in the middle of the game.  However, FFXI is the first game as a summon.

Diabolos - Final Fantasy VIII.  Another "defeat to win as summon".

Alexander - Final Fantasy VI.  Magicite gotten after Wrexsoul.

Odin - Final Fantasy III.  Also one of the few appearances where his battle doesn't have a time limit.

Bahamut - Final Fantasy.  Helps you class change.  But, FF3 is the first time you can battle him and win the ability to unleash his Megaflare.

Phoenix - Final Fantasy V.  Unsurprisingly, climbing Phoenix Tower unlocks the summon.

Cait Sith - Final Fantasy VI.  Although it was called "Stray".  One of the first espers you get.

Atomos - Final Fantasy V, as a boss.  First summonable in Final Fantasy IX.

I'll put up Part 3 soon.

Areya

Part 3: Foes

There are a variety of opponents in FFXI, and while many are generic fantastic monsters like giant bees, killer lizards, and awesome dragons, there are a few that are recurring Final Fantasy staples.  Here's a few critters from Vana'diel that have showed up before.  So where did the following first appear?

Adamantoise
Ahriman
Behemoth
Bomb
Cactuar
Cockatrice
Coeurl
Flan
Goblin
Gigas
Hecteyes
Iron Giant
Lamia
Malboro
Sabertooth Tiger
Sahagin
Soulflayer
Spheroid
Tonberry

Areya

Adamantoise
Final Fantasy II.  While Land Turtles are normal enemies, Adamantoise first shows up as the guardian of the Goddess Bell.

Ahriman
Final Fantasy III.  A Crystal Guardian in the final area.

Behemoth
Final Fantasy II.  First appears as a boss in the Arena.

Bomb
Final Fantasy II.  Even back then they loved to explode!

Cactuar
Final Fantasy VI.  Shows up in later deserts.

Cockatrice
Final Fantasy.  Admittedly the FFXI version looks a lot different since they're featherless.  First dungeon they show up in is the Earth Cave.  Also the first opponent that petrifies you!

Coeurl
Final Fantasy II.  Relatively lategame opponent.

Flan
Final Fantasy II.  High physical defense, but magic works well!

Goblin
Final Fantasy.  In the NA version they were called Imps.

Gigas
Final Fantasy.  There are actually two candidates here, the Ogres and the Giants.  FFXI giants more resemble Ogres, though.

Hecteyes
Final Fantasy II.  They only show up in a couple of later dungeons.  These also make an appearance in FF7, although they're called 8-Eyes there.

Iron Giant
Final Fantasy II.  Rare encounter in the last dungeon, and drop rare loot.

Lamia
Final Fantasy II.  Yep, they had charm here too.  Queen Lamia is a midgame boss.

Malboro
Final Fantasy II.  Instead of breath, they could inflict a bunch of statuses on regular attacks.  The first occurrence of Bad Breath was in FF4.

Sabertooth Tiger
Final Fantasy.  Titan's Tunnel has a lot of them.

Sahagin
Final Fantasy.  Common encounter while riding the boat.  Also pretty thick in the Sea Shrine.

Soulflayer
Final Fantasy.  In the NES release, they were known as WIZARD (Piscodemon) and SORCERER (Mindflayer).   Their Mind Blast move was added in FF4 (in which they were called Mage, despite the fact they don't cast magic...)

Spheroid
Final Fantasy IV.  Late game boss is actually a big sphere and two smaller spheres.  Fear the Globe99 death move!

Tonberry
Final Fantasy V.  You could find them in Istory Cave rarely.

(Edit:  Noticed I put wrong game on Cactuars XD  Also went back and found Tonberry in FFV.)

Areya

A few more Final Fantasy staples to ask about:

1. Chocobos!

Kweh!  They're the standard mounts of the Final Fantasy series, but which game did they first appear in?

2. Moogles!

Kupo!  Kind of the mascot of the series, but have they been around as long as you think?

3. Airships

Flying is definitely the way to travel.  But which game had the first one?

4. Cid

Important people named Cid have showed up in many of the games, but which one had the first appearance?

Majestica

1. Chocobos appeared in FFII...
2. Moogles, I think, in FFIII.
3. Airships, I'm guessing, in the original?
4. Cid's first appearance was in FFII.
"I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him." -Abraham Lincoln

Areya

Yep, that would be correct.

1.  Final Fantasy II.  Chocobo forest existed south of Kashuon.

2.  Final Fantasy III.  Dorga had a bunch of Moogle pets.

3.  Final Fantasy.  Had to go through the awful Ice Cave to get the Floatstone to raise it out of the desert!

4.  Final Fantasy II.  In this one, he's a former knight who gave up his title to work on his airship.

Part 3-B!

Made a neat collage of enemy sprites, most of which were mentioned in Part 3, but a few are other familiar faces.  How many do you recognize?  And yes, many of them show up multiple times but are from different games!

CamKrist

Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.
I'm on Twitter and my essay