• Welcome to Lucky Linkshell - Phoenix .

ShoutBox!

Recent

Donate

Donate a little to help pay for server costs

Suspended for a map

Started by Zerila, May 07, 2007, 03:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zerila

You may have already heard of this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/03/student_counterstrike_map_texasschool/

I would find it funny if I didn't think it was so stupid. The kid made a Counter-strike map of his school... Jeeze, I would have, too! And of where I worked, and of the local mall, etc. Who wouldn't want to play in a familiar location? That would be so cool! But, in spite of having no guns, this kid is somehow a threat. Makes me want to /slapga the entire school board.

Other maps that the Clements High faculty suspended students for:

Starcraft (after a student posted "zerg rush the teacher's lounge! kekekeke" on a message board)
Neverwinter Nights (According to teachers: "They were planning on turning us into newts!")

Ah, well. At least the Board President's name being "Smelley" makes me grin :D
Join the Pixie Preservation Society today!
The only membership requirement is that you can't have killed any pixies :)

Ennaor

Ya I read about that too Zerila.  I think last year for a computer science project some kids made a game called UCSDoom.  lol... good thing they did that last year and not this year...

QuoteThe team behind UCSDOOM opted for a first-person shooter game located on the UCSD campus. "We had a post-apocalyptic UCSD, players fighting each other with combinatorial weapons (all 20 of them), and it was all packaged in a fun, relatively stable game," notes the team's final project review. Littered throughout the environment are various weapons --- including machine guns, rocket launchers, laser pulse rifles -- which players can pick up and use.

http://www.calit2.net/newsroom/article.php?id=921
Wheaton's Law:  Don't be a dick!

Zerila

What's really sad is how many people think they were justified in this. I don't know, maybe I'm the crazy one, but I just don't see the threat. How is having that map threatening?
Join the Pixie Preservation Society today!
The only membership requirement is that you can't have killed any pixies :)