• Welcome to Lucky Linkshell - Phoenix .

ShoutBox!

Recent

Donate

Donate a little to help pay for server costs

Scary drive home...

Started by Zerila, April 11, 2008, 05:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zerila

So, I'm driving back from my uncle-in-law's funeral last night... it's a long drive, from the northern part of MN (Babbitt), roughly 240 miles one way.

The drive up went ok, the weather was nice and everything. However, on the way back we heard that there might be a bad storm moving in around Duluth... a snow storm. In April, yay! ^^;

Everything was going pretty good until we got to around Duluth, and then all of a sudden we hit it... not just a snow storm, but a fricken' BLIZZARD. My visibility dropped to about 30', the road became slick and icy, and I started seeing cars in the ditch. Naturally, I dropped my speed until I felt safe, but at 30 mph and 120+ miles to go, I was in for a loooong ride.

At one point we stopped and got something to eat at one of the few remaining Hardees in the state, and I called some friends to see what the weather was like. It was going to be rough all the way back to Minneapolis... hurray!  :-\

Well, obviously I got home ok, though what should have been a 3.5-hour trip ended up being closer to 6 hours. Once the plows got out and started sanding and salting, things got a lot better and I was able to get up to about 50 or so at times (not all the time, though!)

Final count: 5 cars, 3 SUV's and one giant RV stuck in the ditch. I would have stopped to help, but all of them were either abandoned or they had a truck pulling them out already.

Still, the one thing that bothers me about this... This is April! What is going on with the weather?!
Join the Pixie Preservation Society today!
The only membership requirement is that you can't have killed any pixies :)

Ryudei

Sounds to me like a Frost Dragon has taken up residence in Duluth!

Sorry for the loss in your family Zeri ;_;  Sounds like quite the harrowing experience, I'm glad you made it home safely!

Zerila

So am I... Being dead in a ditch would mean that I couldn't make tonight's Assaults, either!

Ryudei

A crime without forgiveness!  Ariamo would hunt you down in the underworld and sunder your SOUL!

Zerila

A scary thought... I fear the soul-sundering!!!   :o

Kyuuketsuki

What happens if you're rent asunder after already in the underworld?

Ryudei

Let's hope nobody ever has to find out!  :o

Kyuuketsuki

Zerila

Evanesce

I'm so glad you're okay, Zeri- I remember having a drive like that once, going 20 miles an hour for over 100 miles. It's a rough experience.
Welcome to the Glompificate Nation of Luck-Related, Cookiefied Rainbowisms! ~LuckyLS~*Phoenix*~Evanesce~

Zerila

Oh, I suppose you would be old enough now to drive... heh, I shouldn't be surprised that you're old enough now, but I guess it just underscores how very long I've been playing this game  :-[ :-\ ;D

It was bad enough that, if I didn't need to be back at work the next day, I would have pulled over and spent the night in a hotel... better to be out the money for a room than to be dead in a ditch :)

By contrast, the last two days have been just beautiful here... mid-60's, sunny, breezy... just perfect Minnesota weather, and only about 3 weeks late ;D

Evanesce

Wow, you're right- I started playing when I was 13 (I'm 17 right now). Wild.
Welcome to the Glompificate Nation of Luck-Related, Cookiefied Rainbowisms! ~LuckyLS~*Phoenix*~Evanesce~

Ryudei

Quote from: Evanesce on April 22, 2008, 05:05:12 AM
Wow, you're right- I started playing when I was 13 (I'm 17 right now). Wild.

I, for one, don't believe it for an INSTANT!!!!!!

Zerila

Which part can't you believe? The 13 part or the 17 part?
Eva's always been exceptionally mature for his age :)