• Welcome to Lucky Linkshell - Phoenix .

ShoutBox!

Recent

Donate

Donate a little to help pay for server costs

Male/Female Ratio

Started by Areya, September 27, 2011, 04:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the best male to female ratio for an RPG?

100% Male
0 (0%)
75% Male
0 (0%)
2 Male:1 Female
1 (14.3%)
Even
4 (57.1%)
>50% Female
1 (14.3%)
100% Female
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Areya

So how do you like the male/female ratio of playable characters in RPGs?

Some examples of existing ratios (Male:Female):

Final Fantasy II: 7:2
Final Fantasy IV: 9:3
Final Fantasy V: 2:3
Final Fantasy VI: 11:3
Final Fantasy VII: 6:3
Final Fantasy VIII: 4:4
Final Fantasy X: 4:3
Final Fantasy X-2: 0:3
Final Fantasy XII: 3:3
Secret of Mana: 2:1
Seiken Dentetsu III: 3:3

Could list more but yeah..  Think you get the idea!

Areya

lol who voted 100%?

Some more game ratios:

Final Fantasy I: 4:0 (Debatable, some people say White Mages look female)
Final Fantasy IX: 6:2
Breath of Fire: 6:2
Breath of Fire II: 6:3
Breath of Fire III: 5:2
Breath of Fire IV: 4:2
Chrono Trigger: 4:3
Dragon Warrior II: 2:1
Dragon Warrior VII: 3:2
Dragon Warrior VIII: 3:1
Golden Sun The Lost Age: 5:3
Lufia II: 5:2 (I think?)
Lunar SSSC: 5:3

Obviously games without preset parties can vary widely.  Can make all female groups or all male groups if so inclined!

Ariamo

The tales series usually have an even amount of Males and Females.

Because we live in a pink and fluffy world, that's why.

Lunet_Moon

Mew~ I prefer an even mix of girls and guys in an RPG. I don't tend to like guy charas (except one) but in general they do tend to rank higher in the HP dept so I like to use em to soak all the damage! Besides if anything else they make good comic relief. (ie Zell)
If you forgot who I was that's okie.  Chances are I've forgotten you too. Don't fret after all the rediscovery is always the best part!

Isthian

Easy explanation...

How many traditional female RPG Players are usually in a gaming group?
I don't mean console RPGs either... I mean old school D&D and such. Oftentimes = 0, sometimes = 1-2 if the group is large. (Back in the day...)

Not joking either... I've played with a lady that used to game with Gygax back when he was just developing original D&D. Apparently there were only 2 women in the group... out of a little over a dozen peeps. (15-18 she says.)

And yes, Rey... FF1 White Mages are supposed to be female. And you never realize what Black Mage actually is until the Job Change and he loses the hat.

Areya

I think you CAN have too many females in a traditional setup.  Somewhere around 1:1 or 2M:1F is probably the setups that work best.

Female characters almost always tend to make better mages.  Female attacking classes tend to have better defenses or variety such as magical attacks.  Ogre Battle realm Valkyries, for instance.  They don't attack as strongly as males, but they have better magical support.  Granted, it's a bit stereotypical, and naturally there's exceptions.  (Ayla...)

Quote from: Isthian on September 28, 2011, 05:49:53 PM
And yes, Rey... FF1 White Mages are supposed to be female. And you never realize what Black Mage actually is until the Job Change and he loses the hat.

See I always thought White Mages were female too, but I got into a discussion about it one time on a board, someone kept claiming they were just feminine males with long red hair.  *shrug*  Though I always named my White Mages female names lol.

Note that in FF3 you can class change to/from White Mage and it's much more ambigious there!

Ariamo

A couple games I can think of that has only girls as playable characters(yay) :

FFX-2
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Hyperdimension Neptune mk2.

Because we live in a pink and fluffy world, that's why.

Ryudei

LoneKenT

Need more girls!! Not women!! Not granny!! Not teens!! Girls!!!
Seriously!! Lack of playable girl in RPGs are disturbing!!

Ryudei

"Disturbing" certainly is the appropriate adjective for you!