• Welcome to Lucky Linkshell - Phoenix .

ShoutBox!

Recent

Donate

Donate a little to help pay for server costs

Lucky Book Club...just like Oprah :)

Started by Ennaor, August 07, 2007, 12:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zerila

Oh, yeah! Dragonlance! :)

I only ever read the original series of that, and the second series (with Caramon and Raistlin), and that was a while ago. I remember liking it a lot, though :)

Dragon stories are always welcome. Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern are good books, and Barbara Hambly's Winterland series (starting with Dragonsbane) was really good! And really depressing (some horrible, horrible things happen to some really good characters in that)

Also, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote The Obsidian Chronicles, starting with Dragon Weather, that was pretty good... um... and the Hobbit had a dragon in it (Smaug!)

I'm trying to think of other Dragon-related books Iââ,¬â,,¢ve read... ââ,¬Å"The Dragon and the Georgeââ,¬Â by Gorden R. Dickson was a good one, though I didn't care much for the sequels. Robert Asprin's Myth series has a dragon in it, though heââ,¬â,,¢s a minor character. Of course, there's Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini, which is pretty recent. He writes well, considering how young he is, though the books are a little rough.

Terry Pratchett had some dragons in the ââ,¬Å"Colour of Magicââ,¬Â and in ââ,¬Å"Guards, Guards!ââ,¬Â. Thatââ,¬â,,¢s not including the swamp dragons scattered throughout the rest of the Discworld books.

I know I have more dragon books... I love dragons, they're my favorite fantasy species :) I just can't remember any more off-hand.
Join the Pixie Preservation Society today!
The only membership requirement is that you can't have killed any pixies :)

Cilai

Well I would say thats a pretty good list of Dragon books already :P
It should keep me busy for a few weeks. ;)

Armakoy

zomg dragons woot! so ya.. i finished eldest yesterday lolz

Cilai

btw, thanks zerila for the tips on the dragon books  ;D ;D ;D
I'm almost done with the 3rd Pern book and it's a great series so far.  :D :D

Zerila

Ah! The White Dragon, I love that book :)

Now, a word of warning... The Pern books go on forever (her son is writing them now, with her help), and they don't (in my opinion) maintain the quality of the first few... They never get BAD, just not as original ^^;

Anyway, I'm glad you like them!
I'm currently reading Michael Palin's: Hemingway's Chair

Zerila

Um... I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm no longer reading Hemingway's Chair, I'm reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Not because Hemingway's Chair is bad, but because I wanted to find out what the guy who will be taking over the Wheel of Time writes like   :P

So far, I like it!

Selan

I know a lot of people who were into wheel of time, maybe I should read it considering how much zerila likes it.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

Zerila

Well, I'd wait until the last book at least has a confirmed release date... last I heard, it was 2009 ^^;

They do drag a little in the middle, from about book 6 to about 10, but the last book was really fantastic (though, maybe, a little rushed in places). I'm looking forward to the last one, since I've been reading this series since 1995  ;D

Ennaor

does anybody have any good book on tapes recommendations?  need something that will last 12 hours
Wheaton's Law:  Don't be a dick!

Ryudei

There was this really good one of George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl we used to have lying around years ago!  I'll have to see if I can dig it up and find the narrator!  ;D

Rachi

Quote from: Ennaor on August 11, 2007, 06:49:12 PM
I finished reading Stardust last night!  It was good, but the ending... I dunno I wanted something more LORD OF THE RINGS TYPE EPIC...

If you like epic I'd suggest the Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind.
It's awesomely epic (there's a few dragons in this, although you don't get to meet them until later books), and will keep you busy for a while. And it ends good too. In addition, they are making a TV series out of the books, and it premiers November 1st/2nd. If you happen to like the series, the link to the upcoming TV show is: http://blogs.legendoftheseeker.com/

Also, if you like the Harry Potter series of books, you'll also no doubt like the Inheritance books by Christopher Paolini as well. (Dragons abound!)

They made a movie out of the first book, however they did a terrible job with it (did they even read the story once?) so don't judge a book by its movie. :P

For those romantics out there I liked a book called Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel.

I can't say it's all romance, but I can't really put it into any other category either. It's absolutely delightful to read. In the same vein, there's a book called Eva Luna by Isabelle Allende.

It's a collection of short stories that are really heartwarming.

And last but not least, one of my favorite Sci-Fi books of all time is a book called Ender's game by Orson Scott Card.

If you like Sci-Fi even a little bit, you'll love this book.

Zerila

Dangit, I'mma bring this thread BACK!  ;D

Anyway, I just got done re-reading the Temeraire books by Naomi Novik. They're really good! It's written during the Napoleonic wars, only with the added element of DRAGONS! (Dragons make everything better!  ;) ) The dragons have crews like ships, (including riflemen and bombers) and they fight in the war along with humans. I urge anyone who finds that even remotely interesting to pick them up. They're very very good! :)

Also, I just picked up Brave Story, by Miyuki Miyabe. It's interesting, but it doesn't feel like it's gotten to the main story yet, even though a lot has happened so far (also, it's over 800 pages long  :o) That's something I noticed about other Japanese writers that I've read... the pacing just seems a little off to me. It may just be a cultural thing, or maybe the person translating it does something weird, who knows?

So, anyway, what are other Lucky folks reading?