• Welcome to Lucky Linkshell - Phoenix .

ShoutBox!

Recent

Donate

Donate a little to help pay for server costs

Account Protection

Started by Areya, June 06, 2008, 04:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Areya

As you may or may not know, there have been several thefts of accounts of members during the past couple of weeks.  This is just a general caution to be very careful.  I'd recommend checking your computer for keyloggers or other sneaky tools that might have been placed by insidious characters.

If for some reason your account is stolen, let one of us know and we'll put in GM Calls to get the accounts frozen and hopefully rolled back.

Kyuuketsuki

Moar tipz: Update your flash player, flash ads had a backdoor to install malicious stuffz that was fixed in the recent version.

Look for smart.dll, that's the problematic file in most cases.

Extra paranoia: Don't go to somepage, a lot of the scares have originated there. I myself am extra paranoid and don't visit any FF related sites on my main PC, aside from PoL, LS forums, and BG. I don't even use the ffwiki on my main pc. But... that's prolly overly paranoid. *twitch*

Above all: Give me cookies and I won't hack you!

;D :o :o :o :o ;D :-*

Zerila

*Showers Ketsuki with anti-hacking cookies*
Join the Pixie Preservation Society today!
The only membership requirement is that you can't have killed any pixies :)

Kyuuketsuki

*is too busy nomming to hack accounts now*

Zerila

Ryudei

Also, if you ever try and run XI and get an "Interface not supported" error message then you've been compromised.

Areya

I noticed there's a POL message about vulnerabilities today so I'm guessing this problem is fairly widespread at the moment.

As far as I've seen, Darkchibi, Ryudei, and Boomstick have all been victims from Lucky, so far.

And flash ads are evil!  Ugh.  Block them.  Forever.

Zerila

They should make it impossible to kick off someone already connected to FFXI. Or, at least, make it so you have an option to be unkickable. So many people I heard of were actually playing when this happened to them (like Boomstick). If the other person weren't able to kick him off, then this wouldn't have happened. Or, at least, not until after Boom logged off.

Maybe it could even send a warning message. Something like: "Someone from another location tried to access this account. If you believe that this attempted access was unauthorized, please place a GM call". That way, if nothing else, you could leave yourself logged in until you get ahold of SE and fix it.

Of course, then super-paranoid people like me would never log out, causing all sorts of lag... Well, I suppose I could just hang out at the character select screen :)